Crustless Basque Quiche
- Serves: 6
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes, juiced and chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 6 ounces ham, OR Canadian bacon, chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper, chopped, from a jar, patted dry
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup nonfat half & half
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, reduced fat, shredded
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-inch glass pie pan with non-stick spray. Dust the bottom and sides of the pan with the breadcrumbs and set aside.
Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion; sauté 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and sauté until beginning to soften, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the ham and bell pepper. Spoon into the bottom of the prepared pan.
Place the cornstarch, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl; slowly whisk in the half and half to blend. Whisk in the egg substitute and pour the mixture into the pan. Top with the mozzarella.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until puffed and set. Let the quiche rest for 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle chopped parsley on top, if desired. Cut in wedges and serve.