Tomato Crostini with Fontina Cheese
- Serves: 24
- Cook Time: Approximately 25 Minutes
- 1 large French bread baguette, cut in 24 (1/2-inch thick) slices
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) Italian-style diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (2 1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 24 small slices (about 4 ounces total) fontina or provolone cheese
Heat oven to 350°F.
Place baguette slices on a baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted, turning once.
Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, olives, parsley, vinegar, oil and red pepper in a medium bowl.
Place 1 cheese slice on each toasted baguette slice; return to the oven. Bake for 2 to 3 minutes or until the cheese begins to melt.
Top each with about 1 tablespoon of the tomato mixture. Serve immediately as an appetizer.