Kids like to make these recipes as much as they like to eat them! Remember: always wash your hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds before and after handling food.
- GEORGIA PECAN MIX
About 24 (½ cup) servings
- 2 cups Georgia pecan halves
- 3 cups popped popcorn
- 2 cups cheese-flavored fish-shaped crackers
- 2 cups toasted oat cereal
- 1 cup thin pretzel sticks
- 2 cups oyster crackers
- 1 (4 ounce) package buttermilk salad dressing mix
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- ½ cup raisins
Recipe Source: Georgia Pecan Commission
- Preheat oven to 250 °F.
- In a large bowl, combine pecans, popcorn, fish crackers, cereal, pretzels and oyster crackers. Set aside.
- Combine salad dressing mix and oil in glass measuring cup. Pour dressing over dry ingredients and toss well. Spread mixture on ungreased baking sheet and bake 30 minutes.
- Let cool on pan. When cool, stir in raisins. Store in 3-quart airtight container.
- Let kids pour snack mix into plastic bags, tie with pretty plaid ribbon, and attach the recipe for take-home party favors or holiday gift-giving.
- MOUSIE CHEESE PARTY BALL
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) jar of processed cheese
- 4 ounces any grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 to 1½ cups finely chopped Georgia pecans
- 2 round crackers (for ears)
- 6 thin pretzel sticks (for whiskers -- 3 on each side)
- 2 slices pimiento-stuffed green olives (for eyes)
- 1 scallion, trimmed and washed, or 1 long strip of onion (for tail)
Recipe Source: www.bethanyroberts.com
- Mix cheeses and Worcestershire sauce. Form mixture into ball; roll in pecans.
- Decorate cheese ball by placing round crackers, pretzels, olive slices, and onion to turn into mouse. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with crackers
- “TURKEY” APPLES
For each turkey apple:
- 1 Red or Golden Delicious apple
- ¼ cup dried cranberries, raisins, small colored gumdrops, or fruit ring cereal
- 7 to 8 mini-marshmallows
- 7 to 11 toothpicks
- 1 pimiento-stuffed green olive
- 2 whole cloves
- Position apple so that it is turned on its side with the stem end tilted slightly up. Insert three toothpicks in middle of one side, flared out to act as “tripod” for turkey to stand on. Set apple aside.
- To make tail feathers: thread dried cranberries, raisins, small colored gumdrops, or fruit ring cereal onto 5 to 7 toothpicks and top each with a mini-marshmallow. Stick toothpicks on back of apple turkey towards stem end to resemble row of feathers, with mini-marshmallow end sticking up.
- To make head and neck: slide cranberries down one toothpick and top with stuffed green olive for head. Pull pimiento out slightly to simulate red wattle. Insert cloves on either side of olive for eyes. Insert decorated toothpick into end of apple opposite tail feathers.